Laws, Regulations, and Guidance
This page contains resources and references related to transportation laws, regulations, and guidance.
Laws and Regulations
On October 24, 2016 the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) published its final rule on transportation asset management plans titled “Asset Management Plans and Periodic Evaluations of Facilities Repeatedly Requiring Repair and Reconstruction Due to Emergency Events,” available here: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-10-24/pdf/2016-25117.pdf.
The rule addresses three provisions of the transportation reauthorization legislation Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21):
- Development of asset management plans by State DOTs, as required under MAP-21 section 1106(b);
- Setting minimum standards for a State DOT to use in developing and operating bridge and pavement management systems as required under MAP-21 section 1203; and
- Establishing an approach for determining if there are reasonable alternatives to roads, highways, and bridges requiring repair or reconstruction due to emergency events, as required under MAP-21 section 1315(b).
The text of the law is available here: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-112publ141/pdf/PLAW-112publ141.pdf.
The final version of the rule addresses various issues identified in the comments on the notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) dated February 20, 2015 and available here: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-02-20/pdf/2015-03167.pdf.
- Performance Management Reporting Peer Exchange Final Report – NCHRP Project 20-24 Task 124
The NCHRP 20-24 Task 124 Performance Management Reporting Peer Exchange was held on Tuesday October 16th and Wednesday...
- Asset Management Coordination in North Central Texas – 2018 San Diego TRB TAM Conference
This presentation from the 12th National Conference on Transportation Asset Management is an account of Asset Managem...
- TAM Webinar 32: Life Cycle Planning and Management
In this 32nd FHWA/AASHTO TAM Webinar, TAM practitioners described current life cycle planning and management approache...
- Asset Management Plans & Processes Fact Sheet
On October 24, 2016 FHWA published its final rule on required state-approved asset management plans and processes. Thi...
- Using a Life Cycle Planning Process to Support Asset Management – FHWA Interim Guidance
This document provides guidance on developing an initial lifecycle planning (LCP) process that satisfies the requireme...
- Incorporating Risk Management into Transportation Asset Management Plans – FHWA Interim Guidance
This document provides guidance on the risk element of a risk-based transportation asset management plan (TAMP), defin...
- Highway Bridge Conditions: Issues for Congress
This document summarizes current and historic highway bridge conditions. The authors outline issues for the US Congres...
- Applying International Standards Beyond MAP-21 and Toward Global Best Practices in Asset Management
This presentation compares the MAP-21 requirements for transportation agencies to the international standards for asse...
- FHWA MAP-21 Asset Management Q&A
A short Q&A covering the asset management-related requirements of MAP-21. The Q&A was published in 2012
- Developing TAMP Financial Plans – FHWA Interim Guidance
This document explains how State DOTs can develop financial planning processes to support development of their 10-year...